Wednesday 20 March 2013

Moving away from your "comfort zone"



Whenever someone moves to a new country, the person tends to bring a lot of things from the home country. The main reason is to have a sense of familiarity and to avoid being homesick. Some people would bring their favourite food (subject to Customs and Quarantine's clearance), their favourite pillow, their favourite ornament(s) and of course, photos to remind them of their former home. The question is does it help to have familiar things around you when you are suppose to settle in by adjusting to your new life in a new country?

There are two school of thoughts on this issue. One says that it is good to have things that you are comfortable and familiar with to be around you. In other words, it will be easier for you to settle into the new country as you will not miss your former homeland too much. The second school of thought says it is not a good idea. By having familiar things around you, you will be put into your comfort zone. Once you are too comfortable, you will find it challenging to move out of that zone. If you don’t move out from that zone, you can’t move on with you life. In other words, you are not able to adapt yourself to the new country and to the new culture. You will always tend to stick with people from your home country and miss out on a lot of important things around you that you are too blinded to see.

If you are put under the circumstances of moving to a new country, which school of thought would you say that you fall under? As for me, when moving to Sydney, I brought only the essential things such as books that I will need, pots and pans, a piano and things which I need but can’t find or just too expensive in Sydney. As for food, I brought only enough to satisfy my taste bud in the event that I miss the spicy stuff. You see, before I left Malaysia, I was more inclined to follow the first school of thought. When I arrived in Australia, I began to realise that I will not be able to settle in if I hold on to my comfort zone and not move out of it. For who knows, I might actually like what is outside of my comfort zone. I also realised that I will not be able to fit into the society here in Sydney if I hold on to what I am comfortable with back in Malaysia. So, the key here is learning to adapt and keep an open mind. The second key is to observe your surrounding. Observe by watching and listening to the local people around you. Your visual and auditory skills are important here. This is to place you into their system of doing things -ie: what is acceptable and how to get things done effectively in this new environment. Once you get into the system in which the society functions in your new environment, you will find your comfort zone start expanding and that is a good thing. I am still learning and will share new things along the way with you. Until then........

No comments:

Post a Comment