Sunday 10 March 2013

I am back with some stories to share!


Hello everyone! I am back. I do apologise for the two months absence as I have been rather busy moving and settling down in Sydney. We arrived in Sydney on 16th January 2013 and fortunately for us, our things in the forty foot (40 ft) container were ready for delivery to our doorstep a few days after that. With all the unpacking, organising and getting our affairs in order and before you know it, two months have passed since I last posted. This time our stay in Sydney will be different from our previous stay (note that I use “stay” rather than “visit”) because this time it will be permanent or long term. It is no longer a “visit”. Even though we will be visiting KL in April for two weeks but our base or home is now in Sydney.

Moving to a new country is a real experience for me. As my friend, Catherine Eu said to me before I left Malaysia, “When you arrived in Sydney, you may find things will be different and you may find the house rather empty BUT once your things from Malaysia have arrived and surrounded with familiar things, your house will become a home”. I must say, Catherine’s words have a lot of truth in them. Before our things arrived, the house did indeed feel “empty” and “cold”. However, when the things from Malaysia arrived, my family and I got really excited. A sudden rush of warmth, happiness and excitement filled the house. For example, when we saw our family piano from  KL was pushed through the door, we just couldn’t believe our eyes that our piano has travelled thousand of miles and a sense of familiarity returned to us. For me, it was my office high back mesh chair, the white board and the table which I have used every single day in the KL office that brought me familiarity. Besides that, I had my pigeon hole shelf with stickers such as “Praecipe”, “Borang 14 A”, “CKHT” (these are forms from the Court and land office) still sticking on it that gave me the feeling as if I was back in my office in KL. Now I understand how a child feels whenever the child carries that familiar worn out doll with him or her wherever the child goes. It is the sense of security and familiarity that make a person comfortable. It is true that a person wants to be in his or her comfort zone all the time. However, there are disadvantages as well which I will talk about in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. It does. Once everything comes in it feels more cozy and homey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! Panda meets Koala :-)

    ReplyDelete