Sunday 24 March 2013

Achieving your goal - one step at a time (The Everest example)

I am rather fortunate to live close to the shopping malls and the CBD. As a matter of fact, it would just take me about 8 minutes to get there. However, since the place where I am staying is rather hilly, it is quite a challenge to climb the rather steep slope. Each time when I looked up, I would feel aches in my legs and my breathing will become faster. In other words, I was already tired before I make that climb.

One day, it occurred to me that this is more psychological than physical. I was reminded of an interview with one of the mountaineers that climbed Mount Everest. When asked whether he felt tired and exhausted before reaching the top, he said, “Most definitely. However it is more of thinking how am I going to reach the top rather than the actual climb itself that made me exhausted”. So, what did the mountaineer do? He decided to take one step at a time. He focused his thoughts and concentration on every step he take without looking up.  He avoided looking at the peak. Because whenever he looked at the peak, he will start feeling tired and it looks like it is going to take him forever to reach the peak. So, with that philosophy in mind, I did just that. I looked at the path leading up to the top of the slope. I focused my thoughts on every step I take and avoided looking up. Suddenly it felt that the climb was easy and comfortable. I suppose this has got to do with how we live our life. We focus on what we have today and slowly make that climb towards our ultimate goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment