Thursday 3 September 2015

Stories about Complacency (Part 2) - on the job

To continue from my last post. Let us look at complacency and our job. Can you still remember how excited you were on the first day of the job? You would have been extra careful and paid close attention to your job. However, the attentiveness and enthusiasm would tend to decline as time progresses. This is because we were becoming too familiar with our job and knew what to expect. To maintain that excitement and enthusiasm in the job, we need to constantly make changes and generate new ideas otherwise productivity would decline.

As some of you know, here in Sydney, I have embarked into new areas of legal practice, namely family and criminal law. I have moved away from my “comfort zone” of commercial and employment law practice. I didn’t realize that by moving away from this “comfort zone”, I have created a new exciting environment for myself. This has increased my enthusiasm, therefore reviving new interest in my work and setting aside my mundane routine. The next question people would asked me is that what would happen if one day I feel that I am getting too familiar or bored with these new areas of legal practice? Well, my answer is that unlike in my previous job, I am no longer in full time legal practice, therefore, getting myself familiar with these areas of the law will be gradual and thus, it allows the excitement to grow slowly. Ok, what about for those people who are in full time practice or doing the same thing, day in and day out, what is going to happen there? Well, when you are getting bored with your work, you have to take a break from your routine by doing something totally different or just take a holiday. You need to take some time to re-evaluate and see if you are able to improvise, innovate or generate new ideas in your work otherwise it is time to change your work routine or job. The world is constantly changing and so are we. In my next post, I will be talking about complacency and relationship.


No comments:

Post a Comment