Monday 21 July 2014

Dreaming big by achieving small

Previously, I have written an article called “Setting goals and achieving them” where we talked about breaking your goal into smaller parts so that it can be achievable. For example, let’s say that I have joined a company as a Management Trainee and my goal is to be the CEO of the company, I will plan my route to the top of the corporate ladder by placing milestones. To become a CEO, my first aim is to be a Manager of the company, after that I will aim to be a Senior Manager, followed by Group Manager and then COO and ultimately CEO. By achieving each milestone, I will celebrate with satisfaction that I have achieved a goal and my ultimate dream of being a CEO is one step closer. So, whenever a person says that he needs to plan his career path or to climb the corporate ladder, I will say that this is probably one of the methods the person will choose. If we don’t set milestones then it would appear that our goal (in this case, to be the CEO) is very faraway and it gives the impression that it is not within our reach. Therefore, it is important to celebrate every achievement no matter how small it is. It gives us the satisfaction as well as gratitude for coming this far. Let me share with you a story about climbing the career ladder, the unexpected and gratitude.

My father’s friend is a former lawyer, public servant, politician, Member of Parliament and a Cabinet Minister. I remember asking my father whether his friend had ever in his lifetime career thought that he would be a Cabinet Minister one day. My father said, “No. His goal was to be a Senator”. What this man has achieved went beyond his wildest dreams. His aim was to become a mere Senator and what he has achieved was a huge bonus to him.  He has never imagined that one day he would become a full Cabinet Minister. It took him some time to realise that this wasn’t a dream, he was living in it! He served with distinction for his country until he had some differences with the country’s top leadership which resulted his resignation from the Government. The positions he attained were unexpected and were extra “feathers in his cap”. When he resigned from the Government, many of his close friends felt sorry for him but he did not let that bother him at all. He was in his old jovial self as he has achieved what he wanted to achieve and more. He is grateful for being more than a Senator. To him, the rest were unexpected and bonuses. So, when he left the Government he had no regrets but only gratitude and satisfaction. You see, when you set your goals, make sure it is realistic and achievable with some efforts. Setting a high goal which is not within one’s reach is a dream and yes, dream may come true with efforts and lots and lots of luck. The question is are we going to strive and strive until we achieve that dream or are we going to set achievable goals leading to that dream? Only you can decide for what is best for yourself. I know what I will do, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment