Monday 30 July 2012

Watching the XXX Olympic Games 2012 got me reminiscing on my participation in the 14th Asian Games 2002 (Part 3)


Our Team
Posing for the local newsmen
With Mr. Chok Lee Huat
Changwon Shooting Range
The venue for sports shooting during the 14th Asian Games 2002 was in Changwon Shooting Range which is more than 2 hours drive from the Games Village. Due to the distance between the Games Village and Changwon Shooting Range, there were limited bus services plying that route. The organisers had a very strict timetable. If you don’t make it on time, then you will need to take a private car or taxi to the Range which will cost you a bomb! The buses will depart the Games Village at 7.00am and will return at the earliest about 3.00pm.

My team and I would always ensure that we would be the first on the bus as we dare not take any chances. If we missed the bus, the sports journalists would be having a field day with their reports! As the distance prevented us from having our lunch at the Games Village, the organisers had packed for us a “control diet” meal of 3,000 calories in a box. The box consisted of a sandwich, a piece of fruit (either a banana or an apple), a packet of potato chips and a box drink. I have no complaint about our simple lunch but to eat the same lunch for the next 7 days, it would tend to affect you somehow. On the third day, I decided to abandon my lunch box and ate at the cafeteria!

At the Changwon Shooting Range, I bumped into two fellow Malaysians, the late Mr. Chok Lee Huat (Classification Jury and a fellow Klangite) and Mr. Benson Low (an official in the Shotgun events during the Games). We had a nice chat and catching up with each other at the Range.

When we arrived at the Range, we had to bring the firearms for inspection and tagging. The firearms together with the ammunitions were stored in the armoury. We were told that due to the wind velocity and the shooting condition, we have to bring additional ammunitions. All in, we brought about 5,000 rounds of ammunitions. Every single one of the ammos have been accounted for and we brought back all those which were not used.

The shooting range was located in a nice hilly landscape. They had special hall to hold the finals for the 10m air pistol and 10m air rifle events. The weather in Changwon was nice and cool.

Of all the events that we participated, only Nurul Huda Bahrin (1998 Commonwealth Games, Gold Medalist) qualified for the finals. Making it into the finals was a huge achievement in view that we were competing amongst the world’s best shooters in Busan. It was a wonderful experience for me and the team.

I must also add that I was truly impressed with the honesty of the people in Busan. In one of my trips back to the Games Village, I left my cap on the bus. I didn't realise it until the next day. Once I realised that my cap was missing, I immediately went to the "Lost and Found" Centre. Adam Tee came along with me. While walking towards the Centre, Adam was saying to me it would be just a waste of time as there is absolutely no way they could find or return my cap. Adam said that someone must have already found the cap and possibly even wearing it now. To me, the cap has a sentimental value as it was issued by the National Sports Council for the purpose of the Games. Once I got into the Centre, I was asked to fill in a form with my contact number. A copy of the form was also pasted on the Bulletin Board. 

The following day, I got a call from the Centre saying that my cap had been found and it was in the Transport Centre in the Games Village. When I went there, I identified myself and a guy came up and return the cap to me. Apparently, the bus driver found the Cap and left it in the office, hoping that the owner will pick it up. The bus driver could have just taken it and claimed he couldn't find the owner but that did not happen. I must say, I am truly impressed with the bus driver's honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment