Thursday 17 May 2012

Being able to read Body Language saved my life


Like the title says, I am so glad that I am able to read simple body language (non-verbal communication). Had I not been able to pick up signs from that particular person’s body language, there was a great likelihood that I would have been robbed. As a Mediator, I find picking cues from body gestures go a long way when mediating. By learning to read simple body language not only helps in mediating but also in my everyday life!

This incident took place on a Sunday, 6th May 2012 in Klang. I was in Klang with Catherine Eu (former Executive Director of Bar Council), Mike Kuek (Counsellor with the Singapore High Commission) and my father. Mike was kind enough to have his driver pick up all of us in the Embassy’s car. I must say that was my first time being inside an official Diplomat’s car and to be driven by an official chauffer, that was like the icing on the cake! Anyway, we went to this little coffee shop for breakfast in Bukit Tinggi, Klang. After breakfast, we found Mike’s car but we couldn’t locate the driver. My father and Catherine decided to stay near the car in case the driver turns up while Mike and I decided to split up and try to locate the driver.

While walking towards some shops (mind you, it was a Sunday so most shops were closed), I saw this tanned skinny looking guy with a cap pulled down so low almost touching his eyes walking towards me in a rather fast pace. He was wearing an old shirt and torn jeans. As he was approaching me, he actually made eye contact with me. He had this hard and cold eyes staring at me and he did not even blink. His body gestures and movements indicated to me that this person was taking a hard stance and moving aggressively towards me. The manner that the person was moving towards me was pretty threatening. One thing I learned through this experience is that contrary to what most people believe, an aggressive person does not shy away from his/her potential victim but rather they prefer to stare into the eyes of their potential victim by intimidating the potential victim and psyching themselves to take that aggressive action.

So, what did I do? Well, it was too late for me to run away, and for me to shout “help” would be rather hopeless, as there was nobody around who could come to my aid on time, so I did what I have learned in my hypnosis class. I tried to shock and awe him. I stopped and positioned my body with my shoulder pointed towards him and looking at him as if I was in a ready mode to move either direction. I could see the aggressive guy was rather confused with that body posture that I was demonstrating. Before he could come out from that daze, I started to talk pretty loudly as if there were people behind me and before he could even take his next step, I was making all sort of body gestures by moving hands animatedly as if I was talking and giving orders to a group of people. Suddenly, he just turned around and walked away. As he was walking away, another guy with a similar appearance walked towards him. He seemed to be telling the guy “to abort” their plan to rob me. His hand gesture was a clear tell-tale sign.

As he was walking away from me, I silently thank God and gave a sigh of relief. As I was walking towards Catherine, she informed me that the guy was going to rob me. Catherine said that from where she was standing, she actually saw the whole thing. The guy and his friend were waiting at the field near by and when he saw me walking alone, he decided to make his move. Catherine couldn’t warn me as she was quite a distance from me. Catherine also confirmed that the second guy was an accomplice and we can assume that they were going to attack and rob me. Two things I have learned from this experience. One, always be alert and observant and two, be prepared to shock and awe the person so as to throw the person off his/her track. I am so glad that my hypnosis lessons and my basic body language skills helped me in my time of need.


No comments:

Post a Comment